Hey Aspiring Bloggers!
Stephen here, the founder of Aspiring Bloggers, and I’m excited to let you know a little bit about myself and my blogging journey thus far. Thanks for taking the time to read my self-interview.
I compiled a bunch of questions that I’ve answered in hopes of inspiring you to start a blog of your own or to help you create a successful online business with your existing blog.
I’m also hoping to earn your support and loyalty for the continuation of this blog 🙂
Stephen Chen – Self-Interview
1. What is your background?
I’m a Chinese-Canadian male who’s currently living in Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
Ever since I can remember, I’ve always had an interest in three things: technology, learning new things, and helping others. While I value education, I’ve always found more value in learning things on my own because I get to choose what topics I pursue, how deeply I get into them, and how much time I spend on learning them.
After going to post-secondary school for marketing, taking part in several volunteer opportunities , and doing other freelance work for different individuals and businesses, I developed a lot of skills and realized my passion for digital marketing. I did it everything — graphic design, web development, SEO, social media marketing, you name it.
Family has always been very important to me and it’s become one of the reasons why I continue to blog. As immigrants in Canada, my parents worked hard so that they could provide my sister and I with better opportunities in a country they were unfamiliar with. Whether I deserved it or not, they’ve always been there for me and supportive of me and that is something I will appreciate for the rest of my life.
2. Why did you get into blogging?
It was only 5 years ago that I began to learn about blogging and that changed everything for me.
I was so fascinated by how people could make a living from working at home and how there are so many aspects of digital marketing that’s incorporated into blogging. I knew at that point that blogging was a career path I wanted to take because it’ll help me pursue all the interests I mentioned above.
3. What are your goals for blogging?
My dream now is to become a full-time blogger, online consultant, and well-known digital marketing guru while building a network of like-minded people in the industry.
I want this for myself so that I can have the financial freedom to break free from working a 9-5 job and also be able to take care of my family and travel the world.
4. What was your first blog?
The first blog I ever created was called Neat Stuff to Buy. I featured the coolest things you could find on the internet which included the categories of gadgets, electronics, clothing, kitchen equipment, and even bathroom products. Anything that was neat, I would write about it!
Don’t bother searching this blog up because unfortunately, it only lasted about 16 months before I realized it was the wrong niche for me. Despite having a good number of readers and thousands of followers, I just wasn’t genuinely interested in writing for it anymore. There was nothing fulfilling to me about blogging about random products. I knew I was just trying to make money from the blog and nothing else.
Relevant Article | How to Choose a Blog Niche You’ll Actually Stick To
Even though this blog didn’t turn out in my favor, I didn’t regret a single thing because I gained so much experience from it — how to create a blog, how to grow an audience, how to structure and write content, and how to make money online. I also learned a lot of things that would be useful for my next blogs which I eventually wrote about in my article describing 8 Critical Things Every Beginner Blogger Should Know.
5. What are your current blogs?
Steebo’s Tech and Aspiring Bloggers.
Steebo’s Tech is a tech blog where I get to write about tech tips, cool gadgets, and product reviews.
As a person who’s passionate about tech, I use this blog as a way to share my knowledge with my readers but more importantly, develop partnerships with different companies to get free tech stuff. Totally not kidding.
Even though I haven’t been too active on it lately since starting Aspiring Bloggers, I still have quite a bit of daily visitors reading my articles everyday.
If you haven’t noticed, you’re currently reading this post on Aspiring Bloggers.
I started this blog last year to fulfill my interest in helping others with something I know a lot about and love—blogging. With this blog, I’m able to provide potential bloggers and beginner bloggers with the knowledge, skills, and resources they need to create a successful blog and online business. I also have the opportunity to offer my services to those who need it.
This blog is also helping me fulfill my dream of becoming a full-time blogger and a well-known digital marketing guru.
6. What is your best advice to potential bloggers?
- If you’re thinking of starting a blog, don’t hesitate, just do it. Only after you get started is when you can realize if blogging is right for you. I didn’t know how much I’d love blogging until I started with my first blog. Now it’s part of my daily routine and I’m gaining a lot from it—a positive reputation, a network of new friends, and an opportunity to help others and make an income online.
- Pick the right blog niche! I’m sure you’ve learned from my experiences with my first blog that I didn’t choose the right blog niche and that ultimately resulted in the discontinuation of that blog. If you choose the right niche from the beginning, you won’t have to make the mistake I did.
7. What is your best advice to current bloggers?
- Don’t give up! I know from my personal experiences that blogging can be very demotivating sometimes because we might not get the results we want. However, I’ve learned that with every problem, there’s a solution and if you figure out enough problems, you’ll eventually achieve your goals.
- It takes time. The more effort you put in writing blog posts and doing the research required to grow you blog, the faster you’ll actually grow your blog. If you’re new, it won’t come quickly but if you stay consistent, you’ll inch closer to your goals with every day that passes.
- It gets easier. There are certain things that might be a nuisance to you such as having to deal with things like SEO, writing consistently, or spending a lot of time on marketing. However, it becomes more natural the more you do it
Relevant Article | 8 Tips to Help You Get Your Blogging Motivation Back
Thanks for reading!
Let me know what your blogging (or life) goals are in the comments! I’d love to hear them and get to know you 🙂